NEW YORK (CE Week, Booth #116) – June 21, 2016 – Epson, the number-one projector manufacturer in the world, today announced a new Home Cinema projector with 4K content support. The Home Cinema 5040UB features 4K Enhancement Technology(1) and is the first 3LCD projectors with 4K UHD signal input and high dynamic range (HDR) support. These newly designed Home Cinema projector deliver 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness(2) and an expansive color gamut to display the entire sRGB and DCI color spaces(3). The projectors are engineered with up to 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and display high dynamic range content, with eye-popping bright colors and deep, dramatic Ultra Blacks for a fully immersive large-screen experience.
“These new projectors are a breakthrough in projection technology, engineered to handle 4K UHD content for under $3,000,” said Rodrigo Catalan, senior product manager, Projectors, Epson America. “With HDR support, it’s easier than ever for consumers to enjoy the latest content with high dynamic range to create an amazing cinematic experience.”
More About the Home Cinema 5040UB
The Home Cinema 5040UB with 4K Enhancement(1) is compatible with HDMI® 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 standards for displaying 4K UHD content. The projector automatically detect an encoded HDR signal and adjust the brightness levels to display highlights and detailed blacks. The projectors deliver an immersive, natural picture quality displaying the full sRGB color space, even in the brightest mode, as well as the entire DCI color gamut – the digital cinema standard – in Digital Cinema Mode. The projectors include an enhanced optical engine and a new all-glass cinema lens engineered to deliver excellent sharpness and color uniformity with remarkable clarity across the entire screen.
Additional Home Cinema 5040UB features include:
Powered Lens Position Memory – Preset up to 10 positions for zoom, focus and lens shift for both standard and wide cinema ratios
Installation Flexibility – Equipped with a wide range of lens shift capabilities, including a superwide range of up to ± 96.3 percent on the vertical axis and ±47.1 percent on the horizontal axis
Image Enhancement Features – Super-resolution delivers defined edges and rich image quality, making content come alive; Detail Enhancement refines surface detail for true-to-life images; users can adjust levels of sharpness and detail enhancement
New Optical Engine – Non-inverting optical engine design utilizes an additional high-quality relay lens for Epson’s best color field uniformity to date
Frame Interpolation(5) – Generates multiple new frames between the originals, reducing motion blur and providing a smoother, theater-like experience
Auto Iris Technology – Adjusts the aperture to provide the optimum contrast and brightness for each scene
Centered Lens Design – Makes installation easy to plan and carry out with simpler lens-toscreen alignment
Color Brightness Specification – Brilliant image quality requires high color brightness; Epson projectors utilize 3LCD, 3-chip technology and offer up to 3x higher color brightness than leading competitive projectors(6)
Availability and Support
The Home Cinema 5040UB will be available in August through authorized resellers. Each projector comes with Epson’s industry leading service and support, including toll-free access to Epson’s PrivateLine® priority technical support. The projectors include a two-year limited warranty (90 days on lamps).
The new line of Epson home theater projectors will be on display and demoed at Epson’s booth #116 at CE Week June 21-23.
(1) 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by 0.5 pixels to double the resolution to 3840 x 2160 and surpass Full HD image quality. Resolution is 1920 x 1080 in 3D Mode.
(2) Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118.
(3) Entire DCI color space can be displayed in Digital Cinema Mode only.
(4) Includes one Mobile High-Definition Link® (MHL) HDMI port on the WirelessHD transmitter. For sound, external speakers must be connected to the optical port.
(5) Supports 1080p/24 Hz or 3D 1080p/24 Hz frame packing only.
(6) Color brightness (color light output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Leading Epson 3LCD projectors in the home entertainment segment (720p and 1080p) compared to leading 1-chip DLP projectors, based on NPD data for June 2013 through May 2014